Friends in the children’s literature community, I’m hoping you can help me. I have a picture book coming out that uses just a word or two in several different languages. I need to make sure, though, that I’m using the proper word that would be spoken by a person speaking that language living in a specific place. Each person needs to know basic English as well. So, I’m trying to find:
- a native Shona speaker from Southern Africa
- a native Spanish speaker from the South American purple part of this map:
- a native Malay speaker from Borneo or Sumatra
- a native Portuguese speaker from Brazil Found!
- a native Spanish speaker from Colombia
- a native Setswana speaker from Botswana
If you know someone who might be able to help me via email, would you leave a comment? Thanks so much!
What, you’re passing on Hawaiian?
Well, there actually IS a possibility of a Hawaiian word in this manuscript. I would need a native Hawaiian speaker for that. I know you live there…were you by chance born there?
Nope, but I know several including Jama Kim Rattigan.
Oh, yeah! Thanks!
Hola ! Te puedo ayudar ?
Hola, Miguel! Thanks for offering! I’m looking for people who were born and raised and learned Spanish as their first language in 5 specific countries. Could you tell me where you grew up? Gracias!