Virtual On-Demand Author Visits
Hi, educators! I’m an award-winning picture book author, and I love visiting schools! I’ve talked with, read with, and written with (and laughed with) thousands of students over the past 10+ years.
Most of those visits have been in person, but things are changing. And I am, too! Due to the special challenges schools are facing, I’m introducing a new kind of author visit: a virtual visit that is done through videos, but with personalized aspects.
I’m trying to anticipate and answer any questions you have! Let’s see how I do.
- Personalized video introduction to YOUR school and YOUR students
- 3 separate videos (K-1, 2-3, and 4-6) to play for your students, in individual classrooms or in larger groups (session details)–sessions that support curriculum standards and draw on my own teaching experience
- In addition, personal after-visit extension videos are available for a separate fee
Why Is This Great for Our School, and What Kinds of Things Are in the Videos?
Here’s a 10-minute video to tell you more about it. (No time to watch? Click here to see just the facts.)
How Does This Work? (The Nitty Gritty)
Here’s what this looks like, step by step:
- Fill out my Google form expressing interest in a virtual visit.
- Choose a tentative (but changeable if necessary) 3-day period for the virtual author visit.
- Sign the contract I send.
- Pay 50% at least 14 days in advance of the start of your visit (via PayPal or snail mailed check).
- Receive the document that details all the optional activities, including places you might pause the video to invite student participation and possibilities for after-visit writing activities.
- The week before the visit, access a temporarily shared folder on Google Drive to do a quick test-run of playing a video.
- The day before your 3-day visit begins, access that folder again to find all 3 videos plus a personalized video introduction for your school.
- Over 3 consecutive school days, play each video as many times as you like within your school building only.
- Pay the balance of the author visit fee by Day 2 of your visit.
How Do I Know You’ll Do a Good Job?
I’ve visited dozens of schools and thousands of students over the years. I work really hard to do a stellar job! And because I regularly attend NCTE and am active connecting with and presenting to educators (and am a former teacher myself), I have a good handle on what works well. Here are a few comments from my evaluation forms:
“Laura’s presentations for all grades K-5 were engaging and packed with information…My school also had the opportunity to host writing workshops in 2nd, 3rd and 4th grades. Her poetry writing ideas were inspiring and challenging and it was so much fun watching students write their hearts out…Thank you for sharing your love of reading and writing with all of us!”
–Media Specialist Holly Dragisich, Rogers Elementary , Rogers, MN
“Laura’s eagerness to work with the students was evident with each class that I brought to her presentations. She has an obvious love of writing and was able to help even the less skilled writer think big and expand their thoughts through writing!”
–4th Grade ELA teacher Kelly Hammerschmidt, Rogers Elementary , Rogers, MN
“Laura did a fantastic job with our K-3 students. The feedback from teachers and students was wholly positive, and everyone had a fun and engaging experience. Our older students created a poem and got to bring a finished product home, while our younger students were inspired to learn more about poetry and creative writing.”
–Media & Digital Learning Coordinator Kerry Canfied, Bayview Elementary , Waconia, MN
“I love the way you had the first graders do an echo with you (a sort-of call-and-response style of reading) using your books. I also LOVED the way you had them chant to you, ‘I am a reader.’ ‘I am a writer.’ I have built upon that in the days following your presentation. You did an excellent job!”
–First-grade teacher D. Anderson, Cedar Island Elementary, Maple Grove, MN
“Laura was scheduled to work with our teacher candidates and local mentor teachers. Then the pandemic hit. Laura transitioned to remote sessions. Despite the challenges of remote teaching and learning, Laura’s work with all involved was interactive, informative and totally engaging. She was amazing remotely. I can only imagine what it’s like to work with her in person!”
–Dr. Tony Donk, Hope College, Holland, MI
How Much Does It Cost?
- $400 for all three session videos plus the personalized hello video for your school, all for unlimited use for three days in one elementary school building
- $525 for visit plus one after-visit extra (What are the extras?)
- $600 for visit plus both after-visit extras
I know schools face extreme challenges this fall, and everything probably feels completely up in the air. But we know learning is going to happen one way or another, just as it did in the spring when school buildings closed. So I’m offering a special back-to-school deal. Visits during October and November of 2020 are half-price! The first 10 schools that sign contracts get a 50% discount! The visit is only $200 ($325 with one after-visit extra; $400 with both after-visit extras).
After the first 10 contracts, the price will go back to $400. I’m hoping this inspires you to start talking with your media specialist, your administration, and your PTA/PTO President. Whether this virtual visit keeps a long-standing school tradition going or introduces a brand new one, you won’t regret bringing an author — bringing me :>) — into your school.