The Meanest Birthday Girl
by Josh Schneider
5 Reasons You Need This Easy Reader
- It’s not your average “friendship stories” book.
- Dana, the main character, is not very nice. Usually, I hate books with unlikable main characters. But this one moves so fast, and is so engaging, that I like it a lot!
- Plus, Dana does actually change. Character transformation is?in short supply in most easy readers, because the format makes it pretty tough to accomplish. But Schneider has done it here.
- Dana gets an elephant for her birthday! From the very kid she’s been?bullying. Don’t you want to know why?
- It’s kind of an O. Henry ending. So clever!
(Review copy provided by my amazing Maple Grove Public Library.)
I’m having so much fun reading lots of fabulous easy readers as part of the Cybils panel. I hope to share one or two per week in the?coming months.?If you find these posts useful, please share them with other educators and book people using the social share buttons below. Part of the fun of being nominated for a Cybil is that more people get to hear about your book. Thanks!
Disclaimer: This is MY opinion only! This does not reflect any Cybils discussion nor the opinions of the other Cybils panelists or judges. Perhaps I’ll share some titles everyone else on the panel hates! Perhaps I’ll share ones everyone has fallen in love with. I’ll never tell, and you’ll never know:>)