A Rock Can Be…
A rock can spark a fire, glow in the dark, and help a chicken digest its feed!
Rocks–boring? No way! Rhyming text and glowing illustrations show some of the cool ways rocks decorate and strengthen the world.
Author: Laura Purdie Salas
Illustrator: Violeta Dabija
Publisher: Millbrook Press, 2015
Signed Copies Available
Reviews & More
* SLJ review: “Simple rhymes and verses relate various aspects of a rock, explaining how it can be used as “a hopscotch marker” or as a “fire sparker.” Listeners meanwhile absorb delicious synonyms and adjectives for a rock that they may have originally thought of as an ordinary object.”
* Booklist review: “…this beautiful picture book makes an excellent classroom read-aloud, challenging children to puzzle out the ideas in the poetic phrases and to broaden their thinking about rocks.“
* Kirkus review: “The economy of language and breadth of imagination suggests a broad audience for this wide-ranging and inventive exploration.”
* Pinterest board for educators with many more reviews and classroom activities
* A 2-day, multi-activity rock unit from educator Andy Plemmons, incorporating research, observation, and creativity! Great photos and student videos.