As time flies faster and faster, sometimes whole seasons seem to disappear in a blur of whirling calendar pages! We’ve just moved, and home is chaotic. But summer is short, and I want to make sure I don’t miss the whole thing. So I’m looking at my book, Lion of the Sky, to identify iconic summer moments I want to experience this summer.
Each season gets six riddle-ku in this book, and I’ve used the summer riddle-ku to make a list of things to do. Here’s my plan:
- Dandelions – Easy peasy! Just have to figure out my wish :>)
- Mosquito – Another easy one. They find me :>(
- Sandcastle – Wow. I haven’t built one in years. All right, I’ve got to get to a lake, pronto!
- Baseball – My niece is an awesome softball player, so I’ll get to one of her games—and maybe a St. Paul Saints minor league game, too.
- Fireflies – I don’t see these every year. I’m going to make it a point to be extra observant when we’re driving at twilight past large meadows and farm fields. I’m hoping being more aware will help me witness this magical sight this summer!
- Fireworks – I’m not a big fan of Fourth of July gatherings, to be honest. The crowds, the mosquitoes, and did I mention the crowds? But…it’s been a while since we either went to 4th of July fireworks or to one of the many small-town summer festivals that often include fireworks (Rhubarb Days, Corn Festival, etc.). I’m vowing now to be somewhere this summer where I watch a real fireworks display (not just someone a few streets over setting them off—yowza).
I like this. This feels like a doable summer bucket list, and it’ll get me out doing a few things I haven’t done in years–or that I missed last year due to the pandemic. What iconic summer moments are you looking forward to? Anything inspired by a book that you’re hoping to do?
[My Classroom Connections posts share a way to connect one of my books or poems to a classroom topic–often something timely that you might be covering in the next month or so. Please share this post if you have educator friends who might be interested–thanks!]